THE GIFT OF GAB 4th DIMENSIONAL ROCKETSHIPS GOING UP
What makes this a solo LP as opposed to a Blackalicious joint is Chief Exel’s absence. Blackalicious, a duo, has a producer and a rapper. On this, his first solo outing, two producers (not collaborating) – Jake One (of Seattle) and Vitamin D (of All Natural) make the music. These cats have shit you can freestyle over with your peoples.. but when I’m faded or acting up in public I would have love to have some on point Gab shit to bang, donchaknow? Unfortunately, all of these songs are noticably flawed. I know what they need!
1) Should be called, “Ride the Harp Guitar Breeze Beat,” not “The Ride of Your Life.”
NEEDS: New hook
NEEDS: Bugz in the Attic. Cyndi Lauper on the hook.
3) Thumb piano! Sounding something like Arrested Development’s signees Gumbo (remember them?). Top cut of the LP*
NEEDS: Vitamin D to change up the beat once in a while. And get Dionne Farris to do the singing for you, Gab. Damn.
4) Rapping like Lauryn Hill = Not a good look. [Snaps fingers] Vitamin D fell off that quik!
NEEDS: Dj Quik
5) The back-in-the-day jawn. Don’t cats realize how boring their nostalgia has become. Um, Can somebody help me compile a list of all the back-in-the-day jawns. I’ll start it off: Artifacts, M.O.P. gots one…
NEEDS: Ahmad. Lyrics Born on the beat. To be a b-side on the 12″.
6) Funk-free Sly Stone source material.
NEEDS: J-Zone or Prinse Pawl (whoever charges the least). To be performed with a talkbox for the whole song. Perhaps that would give this LP some of that 4th dimensional vibe I can’t feel.
7) Nice enough. A good idea.
NEEDS: Anybody who could’ve freaked the Taco “Puttin on the Ritz” idea more fresher.
8) This is single material, that girl joint. Bring it in after that Bow Wow’s “Hold U Down” or something.
NEEDS: BR Gunna
9) His boy Vursatyl ain’t dope and neither is his name. I wonder if it’s an acronym? I hope so. Eyedea, Skills, Abilities, Medaphor, Verbal Hologram… There must be a herb union.
NEEDS: Tash instead. E-swift while you’re at it.
11) The open letter to incarcerated nephew gets props over here. I’d be counterproductive to complain about the prominence of his positive politics. I respect that commitment to good vibes. But lawd knows politics have killed a records dope vibe since, like, always (Bob Dylan, I see you!).
12) Strizzy vocals
NEEDS: Rick Rock
13) Strizzy vocals
NEEDS: Da Beatminerz
14) Strizzy vocals
NEEDS: Mc Eiht? I don’t know. Some of these joints seem beyond repair. Heatmakerz (wouldn’t hurt)?
15) Strizzy vocals
NEEDS: See Above. Ant Banks maybe?
Fuck Jake One, Vitamin D, And Gab’s good vibes for fucking up such a promising LP.
SLEEVE Design is strizzy. Paintings by the Heavyweight crew ain’t.
NEEDS: Pedro Bell (funkateers, I see you!)